We all know the impact of the global pandemic novel coronavirus has on the world. Entire nations are under lockdown, people are in quarantine or self-isolation, more than 2 million people are infected and thousands of people have died.
COVID-19 is not only hurting people’s physical health but due to lockdown and isolation, mental health issues are also there. Anxiety and being scared is a natural response to a pandemic. So, everyone is encouraging people to take care of their mental health too, and stay fit.
The stress of beating this disease, and trying to stay fit by eating healthy is overwhelming. Especially because we have limited resources at home, and even when you go to the grocery store, finding fresh and healthy food items is becoming hard.
Also, when people are scared or nervous, they grab their comfort food, which can be unhealthy. But staying fit is important. If you keep binge eating or don’t get in some exercise or lead a healthy lifestyle, your physical and mental health both will suffer.
So, here are some ways through which you can stay healthy during this lockdown period.
Table of Contents
1. Challenge your stress
Stress is disastrous for your health. Unfortunately, the time we are living in means extra stress as we are in isolation or away from family or are struggling financially and are worried about our health. But stressing won’t make anything better, but it can reduce your immunity level.
So, the best thing you can do is try to reduce your stress. If you are working from home, you have something to take your mind off COVID-19. Also, try and meditate and spend time communicating with family or friends, and don’t spend the whole day working. Also, try to make people aware of COVID-19.
Do anything like dancing or painting to ensure that they are using their time to do things instead of stressing about the disease.
2. Get in some exercise
To lead a healthy lifestyle, working out is crucial. Now, you cannot go to the gym or your yoga studio, but you can always work out at your home. You don’t have to do a rigorous one-hour cardio exercise. Getting 30 to 45 minutes of exercise of your choice daily or thrice a week is enough.
The days you don’t work out, go for a walk on your terrace or in the balcony or dance. When you do some heavy physical activity, you release happy hormones that can help alleviate your stress, and keep you fit.
3. Try to eat a healthy diet
It is hard to find fresh fruits, vegetables, or meat. But try to eat a healthy and balanced diet as much as possible. Here are some tips to ensure that you eat healthily:
- Curb your temptation to eat refined sugar or chips or drink soda. You can have some chips or eat a cake once a while. But don’t eat the whole packet in one go.
- Follow a routine, eat at the same time every day, and do portion control. Don’t eat more than you eat normally, just because you are feeling stressed.
- Drink lots of water and lemon water.
- Eat fresh fruits whichever you can find.
- Eat salads as they are rich in protein and makes you feel full too
- Include a variety of foods in your diet so that you get all nutrients
- Canned fruits and vegetables are also a great option at this time. They lack a bit in nutrients, but they are better than processed food.
- Don’t indulge in fried foods too much
- Don’t comfort eat every day. Once a while in such a scenario is okay.
- Create a planner using Canva so that you can track what you are eating and do better.
It is tough as there is a limited supply of food globally. Also, make sure you wash your fruits, groceries, and vegetables thoroughly after getting them from the market.
4. Sleep well
Since everyone is home late nights and doing movie marathons is happening a lot. Also, a lot of people are finding it hard to sleep as they are stressed. But getting adequate sleep is crucial for you. When you sleep well, you feel fit mentally and physically and you have more energy. Furthermore, you don’t experience irritation or mood swings. If you are having trouble sleeping, try meditating before bed or put on some calm music.
5. Practice safe hygiene
Social distancing alone won’t help you stay safe if you are not hygienic. So, follow these tips:
Wash your hands thoroughly with water and soap after and before eating. Also, when you come home after grocery shopping.
- Disinfect every surface on your house
- Cook your food or reheat them at a proper temperature
- Cover yourself while coughing or sneezing. Use a tissue or your elbow and wash them afterward
- Wash vegetables and fruits with warm water
Being healthy is important, keep motivating yourself to eat healthily and exercise. Use a digital platform to connect with friends or family and do a workout together.
Stay safe and healthy, and soon we will get our normal life back.