The Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana is a flagship initiative of the Central Government to offer affordable housing to each section of the society. A successor of the Indira Awas Yojana, the scheme can be divided into Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Urban as well as Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin.
While the former is limited uplift those in urban India, the latter or PMAYG operates with the mission to provide pucca houses with necessary amenities to individuals residing kutcha and run-down houses as well as those who are homeless across the rural locales. PMAY Gramin thus extends financial assistance to the economically backward population of rural India. It comes with an array of features and associated benefits along with specified eligibility criteria.
Features of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin
Here are some prominent features of PMAYG.
- It aims to benefit 1 crore households residing in kutcha houses. The minimum unit size of allotted houses will be 20 sq. mt.
- The minimum financial assistance provided under the scheme is Rs.1.2 lakh for plains and Rs.1.3 lakh for hilly areas, remote areas which are difficult to access and districts which fall under the Integrated Action Plan.
- The cost of constructing houses will be shared between the Central and the State Government. The ratio of the same will be 60:40 for building houses in plains, while it will be 90:10 for building housing properties in the North-Eastern states, Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand.
- The target for Phase I was to construct 1 crore houses between 2016-17 and 2018-19. Likewise, the target for Phase II was to construct 1.95 crore houses from 2019-20 to 20021-22.
While at it, one must also check out the benefits accompanying this affordable housing scheme.
Benefits of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin
While the above features benefit eligible candidates at large, following are some noticeable PMAY benefits.
- Each house constructed under the scheme complies with the guidelines set by the National Disaster Management Authority and National Building Code.
- Senior citizens and specially-abled individuals are provided with ground floor accommodation.
- Eco-friendly and sustainable construction materials are used for long-lasting, environment-friendly housing.
- Landless families are screened on priority.
Notably, individuals can benefit from these distinct features only if they meet all eligibility criteria set for them. Check them out.
Eligibility Criteria for PMAY Gramin 2020
You must know the eligibility criteria for PMAY to apply for benefits under this scheme for rural households. Here are some categories which are deemed eligible to apply for the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin.
- All houseless or landless families.
- Families with no literate male member above 25 years of age.
- Families with one or two-roomed kutcha house, whose walls and roof are not made of concrete.
- Households with no member between the age of 15 years and 59 years.
- Individuals engaged in casual labour with no permanent or stable source of income.
- Minority population belonging to the SC and ST category.
However, individuals who belong to the following category will not be considered eligible to enjoy key benefits of the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin.
- Individuals with a motorised two or four-wheeler, agricultural equipment or fishing boat.
- Kisan Credit Cardholders who have availed a credit limit of Rs.50,000 on their card.
- Families with at least one member earning over Rs.10,000 or working for the government.
- Families with at least one member paying professional tax or income tax.
To know everything about the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin, individuals must also find out the required documents and steps involved in the registration process.
Documents Required for PMAY-G Scheme
Documents which serve as a proof of the following will be required to support applicants’ eligibility for PMAY Gramin.
- Proof of identity
- Proof of address
- Proof of income
- A certificate stating the cost of construction
- Affidavit declaring that neither applicants nor their family owns a pucca house.
Once all the formalities pertaining to application and registration are completed, individuals need to find a leading financial institution which provides affordable home loan under the housing scheme.
Certain financial institutions extend a housing credit at nominal rates of interest and against simple eligibility criteria to facilitate individuals to avail the PMAY benefits.
They also provide attractive pre-approved offers to their customers to enhance their experience of availing a credit, while making the same hassle-free. Such offers can be availed on multiple financial products like home loans and loans against property. You can check your pre-approved offer online by sharing details like your name and contact number.
Under the PMAYG scheme, candidates can avail interest subsidies on home loans through selected financial institutions. One can thus avail the advance for house construction or purchase conveniently and repay it at affordable rates.