It is important to know how to write a check correctly so that there is no problem when cashing it.
Here we tell you how to write a check step by step and its characteristics.
Checks are payment documents or securities that are issued by individuals or banks to a beneficiary. In checks, we can distinguish between the two people who intervene: the draftsmen, the people who pay by check, and the drawees or beneficiaries, those who get the money from that check.
The drawer and beneficiary can be the same person when the check is used to withdraw cash from an account.
These documents must contain the denomination of “check” in the title text. They must also include:
- The determined amount to collect.
- The place of payment (must be through a bank)
- The name of the person paying.
- The name of the person or company that will receive it.
- The date and place of issue
- The signature of the issuer of the check.
Steps to Fill out a Check
- Write the name of the beneficiary in case the check is nominal (the one that can only be cashed by the person or company that is named on the check). If the check is to the bearer (the one that can be received by anyone who presents it to the bank to collect it), instead of putting a name, simply put “bearer” in the namespace.
- Indicate the date in the following way and in this order: the day, with numbers, the month, with letters, and the year, with numbers.
- Write the corresponding amount of money to collect, with a number or with letters, but putting this symbol “#” or an asterisk (*) on both sides of the figure so that nobody can write a different amount. If you write it with numbers, it is important that you add the points when they are thousands. For example: # 1,000 #.
- Signature in the corresponding box. The check must be signed otherwise without a signature, it has no validity.
Cash a check
When cashing the check, you have two possible options: withdraw the money in cash or deposit it in a bank account.
The check can be cashed at any bank in which you go. However, it is recommended that, if you have an account in the bank where you are going to cash the check, you enter the money in that account and not another, as they could charge you commissions.
If you want to collect the check-in cash, you can also do it from a bank and thus safely avoid being charged commissions.
What is the meaning of cross-check?
An adverse check cannot be cashed, that is, the amount of the check can only be deposited in the beneficiary’s account. To write a cross-check, the drawer or the holder will have to draw two parallel lines with a slight inclination on the front of the check, indicating between them the entity of the holder.
How to revoke a check?
If the thirty days established by law have passed since the check was issued, the drawer or issuer may revoke the payment order. For this, a written order is required stating the causes of this suspension of payment:
- The disappearance of some essential data to identify security.
- The loss or loss of security.
- Theft of security.
- If the drawer does not revoke the check, the drawee may cash it, even if the legal deadline to present the check has passed.
How to endorse a check?
The endorsement is used so that the beneficiary of the check can transmit it in favor of a third person so that it is he who collects the check. To carry out this procedure, the total amount of the check must be endorsed, it is not possible to endorse only a part or to impose any condition to collect it.
Do check TheCoreSoft for technology news. There we share the latest tech news & updates.
So, these are the steps you need to follow for writing a check correctly. Keep visiting our site for more such articles.